Venue and city general information
CONSILIUL JUDEŢEAN TIMIŞ
Bd. Revoluţiei din 1989 Nr.17 - Timişoara cod poştal 300034
How to reach the City Council (Consiliul) building:
The Location is 15 minutes walking by the main city center (Victory Square) and 8/9 minutes walking by another central square (Liberty Square).
Public Transportation means:
TRAM no. 1-2-4-5
BUS no. 22
Name of the tram/bus stop: Prefectura Jutetului Timis
For more details on Hotel position, please consult the due page of our website.
Basic Info on Transportation
Timisoara Public Transport network (http://www.timisoara-info.ro/en/infoutile/transport/transportpublic.html)
Timişoara's public transport is operated by Regia Autonomă de Transport Timişoara (RATT), an autonomous corporation of the City Hall.
The complete Network System of Public Transportation can be visualized by accessing the homepage of System of Public Transportation (RATT) http://www.ratt.ro.
In Timisoara, at the moment, there are the following transport city lines:
- 9 bus lines (click here for bus route-details)
- 8 express bus lines (click here for expres route - details)
- 9 tramway lines (click here for tram route - details)
- 7 trolleybus lines (click here for trolleybus route - details)
Means of transport run between: 5:30 - 23:30
Tickets for public transport can be purchased at kiosks that display the RATT logo and from the most of the newspaper kiosks.
RATT kiosks schedule is: Monday to Friday between 6.00-21.30 - Saturday and Sunday RATT kiosks are closed.
You can use the same type of tickets for buses, trams and trolleybuses: a ticket for 1 ride costs - 2 lei
For express buses there are special tickets: a ticket for 1 ride Expres costs - 2,5 lei
There are also day tickets for public transportation: a day ticket costs 10 lei (valid for buses, trams, trolleybuses, including also expres buses)
Traian Vuia International Airport (http://www.aerotim.ro/index.php?lang=en)
The city is served by Romania's third busiest international airport, Traian Vuia International Airport, which is the hub of the Romania's second-largest airline, Carpatair.
The airport is located in the North-Western part of Timişoara Municipality, at a distance of 12 km.
The access to the airport is on the European Road E70 from Timisoara to Bucharest.
Taxis are available for the passengers in front of the two terminals.
Bus connection to the city center:
Express no.4 (E4) connects the Airport to Timişoara city center.
The price for one trip is 2,5 lei.
Located in the Domestic Flights Terminal - Opened 24 hours
Local Currency and Euros
Even if the main hotels and restaurants accept payments in euros and dollars, most of them, as well as taxis and shops want to be paid in the Romanian Currency.
The leu (plural lei) is the currency of Romania. It is subdivided into 100 bani (singular: ban).
Banknote denominations: 1, 5, 10, 50, 100 and 500 lei
Coins: 1, 5, 10 and 50 bani pieces. (pronunciation: bahnee)
Foreign currencies may be exchanged at banks or authorized exchange offices (called: "casa de schimb" or "birou de schimb valutar"). International airports and larger hotels also offer currency exchange services.
Exchange rates** for foreign currencies, can be seen at http://www.worldfirst.com/?ID=1214&gclid=CMGdgsvir7wCFQkFwwod-0oAdA
ATM machines are available at main banks and at airports and shopping centres. There are very, very few ATMs in remote areas or villages.
ATMs that have symbols for international networks such as STAR and PLUS will accept US/ Canadian banking cards.
Major credit cards including American Express, Mastercard and Visa are accepted in large hotels, car rental companies and stores in the main cities. However, credit cards are unlikely to prove useful in small towns or away from tourist areas.
For getting more practical information on local services, visit the following website
The City of Timisoara
The first record of the city of Timisoara, built on the site of an ancient Roman fortress called Castrum Regium Themes, dates back to 1212.
Over the years, Timisoara, the largest city in western Romania, has been influenced by many cultures. The Romans used it as an important crossroads fortress until the Tatars destroyed it in the 13th century. Conquered by Turkish armies in 1552, Timisoara remained under their protection until 1718 when the region of Banat came under Austrian rule for two centuries. Timisoara later became a vital commercial and manufacturing town. Turks, Austrians, Germans and Serbs all left their mark and their influence can be seen in neighborhoods throughout the city even today.
The charm of this city, settled on the northern bank of the Bega River, lies in its distinct architectural character and vibrant cultural life. Frequently referred to as "Little Vienna," Timisoara is home to year-round musical and theatrical performances, art galleries, museums and a buzzing nightlife. A progressive, cosmopolitan place, Timisoara was the first city in Europe and second in the world after New York, to use electricity to illuminate its public streets.
Thanks to its mild climate, Timisoara has lots of public squares and lush green retreats. The city is easy to explore on foot. If you get tired, a tram will be along in a moment; the system is fast, frequent and efficient.
Timisoara abounds with churches of several denominations, a Jewish quarter, an elegant baroque square and a pedestrian-only downtown area. Some of the monuments in the heart of the city afford panoramic views, while the many parks in this "city of flowers" provide an idyllic spot to take a break from sightseeing.
In many respects, it is the abundance of Secessionist architecture that has provided Timisoara with its rather appropriate moniker, "Little Vienna." Secessionism developed in two distinct architectural phases here. Sinuous lines and floral decorations characterized the first phase which lasted until 1908. The second phase, which continued until the First World War, saw simpler, larger buildings with geometrical designs. Secessionism in Romania was an important link between the Byzantine style and later modernist architecture.
Victory Square (Piata Victoriei)
Some of the city's most interesting sites are its elegant baroque buildings, spread around town and particularly along the main square, Piata Victoriei, which stretches from Opera Square (Piata Operei) to Loga Boulevard.
The focal point is the towering Romanian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedrala Ortodoxa Mitropolitana) at the south side of the square. Built between 1936 and 1946, its green and red roof tiles are arranged in a mosaic design. In front of the Cathedral is a memorial to those who lost their lives during the 1989 Revolution which overthrew Communist rule. The Memorial Museum of the 1989 Revolution (Muzeul Revolutiei) offers a full insight into the revolution in Timisoara (see museum details).
Union Square (Piata Unirii)Across the town centre is the picturesque Habsburg-era Piata Unirii, so-named for the imposing sight of the Romano-Catholic and Serbian Orthodox Cathedrals facing each other. Historic pastel-hued buildings line the square. During the 18th century, this was the city's commercial centre and the venue for numerous military processions and religious ceremonies.
The baroque Serbian Orthodox Cathedral (Biserica Orthodoxa Sarba), built in 1745-48, and the mint green and white Serbian Bishop's Residence (Vicariatul Ortodox Sarb) with its extravagant decorations are located on the west side of the square. The Cathedral can be visited daily between 7am and 6pm.
The Roman Catholic Cathedral
(Catedrala Episcopala Romano-Catolica) - on the east side of the square was built between 1736 and 1754 to the design of Fisher von Erlach and represents a fine example of Viennese baroque style. The main altar painting was completed by Michael Angelo Unterberger, director of the Fine Arts Academy in Vienna.
The impressive 18th century Baroque Palace (Palatul Vechii Prefecturi) dominates the square's south side. Formerly the governor's residence, it now houses the Museum of Fine Arts with works by German, Flemish and Italian artists. See museum details below.
At the northwest corner of Piata Unirii stands the spectacular Scont Bank (Banca de Scont). This typical Hungarian-style art nouveau structure, built in the early 20th century, features an organic shape comprising curved walls studded with turquoise tiles forming patterns drawn from folklore, and extravagant iron gutters and window grills.
From Piata Unirii, walk east along Str. Palanca to the oldest building in Timisoara, now housing the Banat Etnographic Museum (see museum details) within the city's remaining 18th century bastion.
Freedom Square (Piata Libertatii) to Victory Square (Piata Victoriei)
Another remarkable open space in the city is Piata Libertatii which offers a great display of Secessionist architecture. The Banat region was under Turkish rule from 1552 until 1716 when the Austrian-Habsburg Prince Eugene de Savoy took over Timisoara. At this time, a seven-star- shaped bastion and gate-towers were constructed and the marshes surrounding the town were drained by the new Habsburg governor, General Mercy.
Continue along Str. Lucian Blaga to the 14th century Huniade Castle (Castelul Huniade). Built during the rule of Carol Robert, Prince de Anjou, it was completed by Iancu of Hundeoara and redesigned by the Habsburgs in the 18th century.
Residential areas - South and east of the Bega Canal are the Josefin, Elisabetin and Fabric residential districts, true gems of Jugendstil, or art nouveau, architecture, built mainly in the late 19th century. The small residential square of Piata Plevnei, south of the Bega Canal, is bordered by excellent examples of the first phase of Secessionist architecture, such as Gemeinhardt's Peacock House (Casa cu Pauni) built in 1905. Facades are covered with an abundance of typical motifs: peacocks, swans, owls and squirrels together with sinuous vines and foliage. The theme continues on the buildings lining Splaiul Tudor Vladimirescu, following the south bank of the Bega, and to a lesser extent, around nearby Piata Maria and Bulevardul 16 Decembrie 1989.
Secessionist, or art nouveau, architecture also can be found in the cities of Arad (especially on Strada Closca and Piata Avram Iancu), Oradea (Vulturul Negru and Astoria hotels), Cluj (Odon Lechner National Theatre), Satu Mare and Targu Mures (Palace of Culture).
Even though Jewish presence in the Banat region dates back to the 2nd century AD, the first written mention of the Jewish community in Timisoara occurred in 1716, when the Turkish army commander surrendered the town to the Austrian Prince Eugeniu of Savoia.
In the old Sephardic cemetery, graves dating to the Turkish occupation may be seen, the oldest belonging to Azriel Assael, a Rabbi and surgeon who died in 1636. A century latter, Rabbi Meir Amigo and four followers from Istanbul were allowed to settle in the city. Following the implementation of citizen rights acts in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Timisoara's Jewish community flourished, reaching a population of almost 7,000. Six synagogues were built in the city after 1867, the year of the Austro-Hungarian reconciliation. Today, three remain with one still active.
Useful Links on Timisoara
A video on the City
9th European Echocardiography Course on Congenital Heart Disease
- 15th to 18th October 2014, Timisoara (Romania)
8th European Echocardiography Course on Congenital Heart Disease
- 23rd to 26th October 2013, Bologna (Italy)